10bit Uncompressed to Apple ProRes Field Recorder, Monitor and Playback Device
Record | Monitor | Playback | Ready-to-Edit
The revolutionary Ninja is a portable touchscreen Professional 10bit HD Recorder, Monitor, & Playback device that captures pristine video and audio direct from any camera with a clean HDMI output. It encodes in real-time to the visually-lossless Apple ProRes format, onto low-cost, removable 2 ½ inch hard disks in Apple ProRes.
Ninja packs a host of features into its compact, rugged aluminium body:
- Recording direct to Apple ProRes via HDMI - pristine HD uncompressed video from camara lens and sensor directly to Apple ProRes via HDMI
- Monitoring - On the Ninja Screen
- Playback - Instant playback for review of Apple Prores files to the NInja screen
- Touch Screen - Simple intuitive touch screen functionality
- Continuous Power - Atomos Continuous Dual Battery Technology
- Affordable Storage - Infinite affordable 2.5" HDD/SSD storage capability
And transforms your video production by:
- Eliminating the need for capture cards and wasted time logging and capturing by avoiding the lossy, time consuming capture-to-edit process
- Bypassing the image-degrading compression needed to squeeze HD onto in-camera flash storage like P2, SxS, SDHC etc
- Providing limitless and cheap storage through the use of abundant removable 2 ½ inch laptop hard disks
- Including all accessories in one rugged case - Batteries, Chargers, Disk Caddies and a PC/Mac docking station
- Recording to a high quality editing codec at the camera, in the field: simple.
- Recycling older cameras with obsolete tape and compression technology and updating them with a modern, high-quality file-based workflow
Better quality from your new or old camera. Infinite cheap storage. No worries about battery life. Ideal for everything from low-cost DSLRs to professional camcorders, Ninja transforms the way you work with video.
Everything Included for Real Production
At ATOMOS we believe in selling complete solutions. We're not like other companies that sell you a product and expect you to spend thousands of dollars extra for batteries, accessories, docking stations and chargers - to name just a few. We don't like this way of doing business and so for one low price we give you a complete solution:
- Ninja Unit - Recorder, Screen for monitoring and playback, Touch Screen for easy control
- HDD/SSD Master Disk Caddy (x2) - you buy the disks and insert them. This is by far the most affordable way to record video onto media
- 2600mAh Batteries (x2) - for continuous battery operation
- Charger - to charge your batteries
- Docking Station (and cables) - to connect to Mac or PC via Firewire 800 and USB2/3 for downloading or editing immediately from the Ninja Disks
- Ninja Carry Case - Tough, light and portable carry case to protect your investment
Tough Aluminium Body
Strong, light and portable, the super-tough aircraft-grade aluminium chassis weighs only 550g excluding disks and batteries, and 900g fully loaded with batteries and disk. The Ninja can be mounted almost anywhere using it's top and bottom ¼" tripod screw thread mounting points.
Inside the Ninja is the ATOM-OS, a custom made operating system just for video. It dedicates critically accurate tasks like encoding and camera input support to the precision hardware inside.
The ATOM-OS also runs theThe Touch-Screen, and the User Interface, and runs on top of our hardware much like a computer running Mac OSX.
Every part of the Ninja and the OS has been written from the ground-up to guarantee that you have the low-power, high-precision, reliable functionality that you need in real-world production use.
Recording Directly to Apple ProRes HQ, 422 or LT
Hidden inside Ninja's compact design is a hardware implementation of Apple's ProRes codec: a bit-perfect rendition of Apple's professional compression system that's designed to leave your final images looking as good as when they first hit your camera's sensor. Apple gave us the thumbs-up for our implementation and have allowed us to market and sell the Ninja with Apple ProRes.
Touch Screen, Monitor, Playback
Ninja is simple to use as well, with a no-nonsense, intuitive touchscreen that doubles as a viewfinder and playback monitor. Ninja eliminates the need for a separate monitor, external high quality recorder and large battery by combining these three pro-video essentials in into one clever portable device.
Ultra-Low Power for Long Running Times
The Ninja consumes very little power, and is designed from the ground up to be a low power device to ensure long recording times and efficient use of batteries. Creating portable equipment with an ultra-low power consumption is an expertise that we're please to have in-house at Atomos. Cutting power consumption leads to affordable running costs, a more efficient workflow and a financial improvement for your business.
ATOMOS Continuous Battery Technology
Atomos' unique battery-looping technology means that you never have to interrupt a Ninja recording to swap power cells. Just unplug the old battery and replace it with a fully charged one. We call it Continuous Power!
Infinite Affordable 2.5" Storage
Up to 750GB or 16.5 hours recording on each disk.
2.5" spinning disks or flash memory-based SSD's are the most reliable and affordable types of storage on the planet. Use super-cheap spinning disks (up to 750GB HDD) for everday studio and event work and switch instantly to flash based SSD's to give you the robust recording in vibration-sensitive or harsh recording environments. This is the same flash memory as in Compact Flash, SxS, P2 and SDHC cards but at a fraction the cost.
Ninja makes it easy to get video off your camera and onto your computer, with FireWire 800, USB 2 and 3 and interfaces built into the included docking station. Insert the 2.5" disks into the included docking station and the Apple ProRes files are recognised within seconds. They work natively with Final Cut Pro and on any computer with the ProRes codec installed (including suitably configured PCs). That's right: there's no capture card necessary in the ATOMOS Ninja workflow!